Study Work Options in Canada

Canada is a rewarding study abroad destination. Hundred thousands of students go to Canada every year to acquire education and it is general curiosity among students to know whether they are eligible to work along with their studies in Canada. There are certain requirements that are to be fulfilled and eligibility criteria to be met by the international students to work in Canada during study and after study.

  • Work on campus

The students can opt to work in Canada without a work permit on their institution’s campus if they are post- secondary full-time student at public college or university, Canadian private school or private college in Quebec which is at least 50% funded by government grants. The student should also have a valid study permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN). The student can work anywhere at the institution’s campus and can be employed under school, faculty member, private business, self employed, or private contractor. The student must stop working after the expiry of study permit.

  • Work off campus

To work off campus and without a work permit, the international students should have a valid study permit and are a full-time student of DLI, your study permit should have a written condition that allows you to work in Canada on and off campus, the program is at least 6 months long and the student should have a SIN number. Under this, the students are allowed to work up to 20 hours in a week. The students can work anywhere off campus.

  • Work as a Co-op student or intern

In some study programs, there is an internship or training experience requirement as part of the curriculum. To apply for co-op work permit, the student must have valid study permit, internship is 50% or less than the study program, and working is required to complete your study program. The students can apply for internship work permit along with study permit or after starting to study in Canada.
These are the options of which students can avail benefit while their studies are going on in Canada. To work after completion of study in Canada, the students can utilise following options.

  • Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The international students who have graduated from eligible DLI institutions and want to stay temporarily in Canada are eligible for PGWP. The duration of the work permit depends upon the length of the study program undertaken by the student.

  • Program of less than 8 months – No Post graduation work permit
  • Program length is between 8 months and 2 years – PGWP will be of same length as the study program
  • Program of 2 years or more – PGWP of 3 years is issued
  • More than one program – PGWP will be valid for up to 3 years

Having learnt about the work options that can be utilised while and after study in Canada, now international students can make an informed decision. Talking about work permits, there are two types of work permit in Canada – Open work permit and Employer Specific Work Permit. The study abroad aspirants can opt for education in Canada through West Highlander. West Highlander Consultancy has expertise and experience in providing unbiased guidance and assistance to young aspirants. Contact No. – 9915999-766, 677