How to Study in Canada without a Study Permit?

To study in Canada, you will be required to apply and receive a Canadian study permit. However, depending on the circumstances in which you are applying for a visa, you can exempt from the requirement.   You would not require a study permit, if you want to pursue a program, which is of six months or less. Courses may be taken on a part time basis or a full time. The extension of the visa will not be granted to complete a short term program.  Overseas students who do not have a study permit and wish to enrol under educational program are supposed to apply for a study permit from outside Canada.  You can expect an exception if a course is short in nature and can be completed within original period of stay specified upon their entry to Canada.

The immigration and Citizenship of Canada suggests foreign nationals seek a study permit for a program of six months or less if you want to work on campus or continue your studies in Canada after the completion of the program.


To become eligible to study in Canada, there are several conditions that you need to follow, which are given as in below:-

  • You must be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada
  • You must provide evidences that you have got enough money to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses for you and your family members.
  • You should not have a criminal record and must be a law abiding citizen.
  • You need to be in good health
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada, when your authorized stay in Canada ends.


  • You do not need a study permit if you take up a course that lasts for six months or less.
  • If you are a family member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the department of foreign affairs
  • If you are a member of foreign armed force under the visiting forces act and you do not need a permit to study in Canada
  • If you are a citizen of another country who also has a status of registered Indian in Canada, you would not require a permit to study in Canada

Why trust West Highlander?

 West Highlander is a group of highly skilled, qualified and licensed study abroad consultants. We provide proper counselling and guidance to students about the education system, colleges and universities in Canada.   The highly skilled and experienced professionals of West Highlander act as a bridge between the aspiring students and overseas universities and colleges.  We have credited many immigration licenses and qualifications which serve as a testimony to our expertise and professionalism. If you are planning to study abroad, then consult the experts of West Highlander.  We are the best study in Canada visa consultants in Chandigarh.