Nursing, an age old profession, has evolved in various capacities. Conventionally, Nursing was seen as a care provider role but now, the role has diversified into diagnosing health problems, prescribing medicines and therapies; they work as Clinical Nurse specialists and Nurse practitioners. Hence, there is proliferating scope in this field.
The students who have completed graduation in Nursing in India from recognized institutions or universities often opt to study in New Zealand further. They have two options –
- For students with 6.5 Band in IELTS exam – They can apply for Bachelors in Nursing in New Zealand which is usually a four-year program but due to previous qualification, they get two years credit and complete their bachelors in NZ in just two years.
- For students with 7 Band in IELTS exam – They can directly attain nursing registration in New Zealand through Competency Assessment Program (CAP) which takes about three months to complete.
Study Options for Indian Graduates who want to pursue Nursing in New Zealand –
- Waikato Institute of Technology – Wintec is a highly recognized institution offering Bachelor of Nursing (Level – 7) course. The Indian students who have done BSc program in India can avail two year credit in New Zealand and can complete their Bachelor’s program in NZ in just two years to become eligible for nursing registration. To further enhance skills and capability, the students can opt for Post Graduate Diploma in Nursing.
- Northtec – For study abroad aspirants, the tertiary education institution offers certificate, diploma, foundation and degree level courses. For international students, the institution has Bachelor of Nursing course that takes 3 years to complete if studied full-time and 4 years to complete if undertaken on part-time basis.
- Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki – The largest tertiary education provider has universal standing and provides Bachelor course in nursing to become eligible for registration. The institution is well equipped with modern infrastructure and state of the art laboratories.
- Southern Institute of Technology – This is another famed institution of New Zealand known for its qualitative education. The institution also has Bachelor of Nursing course for the international students. Along with this, students can also opt for PG Diploma or Certificate in Health Science. The institution has five campuses and has about 1500 international students.
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology – In the health care sector, the institution offers Bachelors in Nursing which costs about $20,000 for a year for an international student. The career opportunities with the program include Public Health Nursing, Rural Health Nursing, School Health Nurse, Operating Theatre Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Palliative Care Nursing, etc.
These are among the top institutions in New Zealand and the degrees from these institutions are recognised all over the world. For medical field graduates, study in New Zealand is a promising option to exploit. New Zealand has burgeoning scope for nursing field students. Study abroad aspirants can hope for rewarding opportunities on becoming registered. If you require more information regarding study in New Zealand, you can contact experts at West Highlander Consultancy to clarify all your doubts. Our director, Ms. Parwinder Kaur is an IAA New Zealand licensed adviser.